Google
 
Web Invest4today.blogspot.com

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Portfolio Update: 8/31/2006

My portfolio has held up well in a sideways market. As part of my consolidation effort and prudent investing, I realized gains and closed positions in America Movil (AMX), Bema Gold (BGO), (SHORT: China Natural Resources (CHNR)), Gilead (GILD), Motorola (MOT), Nasdaq (NDAQ), New River Pharma (NRPH), Tesoro (TSO), Titanium Metals (TIE), and one option trade. Realized loss: in Walmart (WMT) and two option trades.

2005 Return: 10.5%
2006 YTD Return: 14.7%


Top Holdings 8/31/06
1. Cash 20%
2. Silver Wheaton (SLW) 14%
3. Cerner Corp (CERN) 10%
4. E-Trade (ET) 9%
5. Broadcom (BRCM) 8%
6. Corrections Corp of America (CXW) 8%
7. Chesapeake Energy (CHK) 8%
8. Altria Group (MO) 6%
9. Banco Bradesco (BBD) 6%
10. Citigroup (C) 6%
11. Other 5%

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What type of option trades are you making. I believe that the best option trades right now are delta nuetral trades like spreads and iron condors.

I like your posts and think you will do very well in your investments. Good luck and keep up the good work.

9/01/2006 9:55 AM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

Mr. Evans,

I only made a few option trades. I am only permitted to buy calls from Ameritrade Izone (due to my age and years of experience). This limits any complex trades (long straddle, ...). My trades were pure speculation with some technical analysis on the underlying stock. The trades ended up hurting my overall return in 2006.

9/01/2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Options can be very tricky...As the stock goes up the call option sometimes goes down. Which seems paradoxical. I believe the best options to buy are at least three months out atm or itm. These move better with the stock.

I'm sorry you probably didn't want to talk about options. I just believe it is important to get the word out. I wish you much success.

Good luck

9/01/2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

johnny,

I wish I had $100,000. I am no where close to that. I personally believe it is easier to turn $1K into $2K than $100K into $200K (even though it should be the same).

Also I am getting half off in-state tuition with low living expenses. So I have money from past work. We will just leave it at that.

9/05/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

Mando,

Thanks for reading my blog. I generally don't make many trades. It all depends. Maybe about 1-4 trades a month. I don't know anything about SOGOInvest but I am very happy with Ameritrade Izone.

9/14/2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Big Ben said...

Ameritrade Izone is $5 per trade.
I would rather trade with someone more established like Ameritrade than SOGO.

9/18/2006 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home